Mastoid Osteoma – Is “Trauma” A Possible Etiologic Factor
A 19 year old female presented with painful postaural swelling of three years duration with preceding history of trauma. Clinically and radilogically the diagnosis of mastoid osteoma was made. As patient was symptomatic the osteoma was removed and cortical mastoidectomy was done. We emphasise that symptomatic mastoid osteomas must be treated early even if they are small in size to prevent the development of giant osteomas. The case is reported for its rarity with relevant review of literature. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case report in which there is a definitive history of trauma preceding the development of osteoma suggesting its possible role as an inciting factor.
2. Park SJ, Kim YH. A case of giant osteoma developed from the mastoid cortical bone. Korean J Audiol. 2012 Sep;16(2):95-8. [PubMed]
3. Smud D, Augustin G, Kekez T, Kurda E, Majerovicc M, Jelincicz Z. Gardner's syndrome: Genetic testing and colonoscopy are indicated in adolescent and young adults with cranial osteomas. A case report. World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13 (28): 3900-3. [PubMed]
4. El Fakiri M, El Bakkouri W, Halimi C, Aït Mansour A, Ayache D. Mastoid osteoma: report of two cases. Eur Ann Otorhinolaryngol Head Neck Dis. 2011 Nov;128(5):266-8. [PubMed]
5. Domínguez Pérez AD, Rodríguez Romero R, Domínguez Durán E, Riquelme Montaño P, Alcántara Bernal R, Monreal Rodríguez C. The mastoid osteoma, an incidental feature?. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2011 Mar-Apr;62(2):140-3. [PubMed]
6. Ben-Yaakov A, Wohlgelernter J, Gross M. Osteoma of the lateral semicircular canal. Acta Otolaryngol 2006;126:1005-7. [PubMed]
7. D'Ottvai LR, Piccirillo E, De Sanctis S, Cenqua N. Mastoid osteomas: review of the literature and presentation of two clinical cases. Acta Otorrinolaringol Ital 1997; 17(2): 136-9. [PubMed]
8. Denia A, Perez F, Canalis RR, Graham MD. Extracanalicular osteomas of the temporal bone. Arch Otolaryngol 1979; 105(12): 706-9. [PubMed]
9. Gungor A, Cincik H, Poyazoglu E, et al. Mastoid osteomas: report of two cases. Otol Neurotol 2004;25: 95-7. [PubMed]
10. Guerin N, Chauveau E, Julien M, et al. Osteoma of the mastoid bone: report of two cases. Laryngol Otol Rhinol 1996; 117:127–32. [PubMed]
11. Singh I, Sanasam JC, Bhatia PL, Singh LS. Giant osteoma of the mastoid. Ear Nose Throat J 1979; 58(6): 243-5. [PubMed]
12. Probst LE, Shankar L, Fox R. Osteoma of the mastoid bone. J Otolaryngol 1991; 20(3): 228-30. [PubMed]
13. Martínez R, Morais D, Ramírez B, Martínez P, Benito JI. Mastoid osteoma. Acta Otorrinolaringol Esp. 2003;54:94-7. [PubMed]
14. Van Dellen JR. A mastoid osteoma causing intracranial complications: a case report. S Afr Med J 1977; 51(17): 597-8. [PubMed]
15. Estrem SA, Vessely MB, Oro JJ. Osteoma of the internal auditory canal. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1993;108:293-7. [PubMed]
16. Kim HH, Wilson DF. Titanium mesh for functional reconstruction of the mastoid cortex after mastoidectomy. Otol Neurotol 2006;27:33-6. [PubMed]
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.