Patterns of Injury and Mortality in Pediatric Patients Attending Emergency Department in a Tertiary Care Center in Eastern Nepal
Introduction: Trauma is a major and increasing global health concern in the recent world is now the leading cause of death among people less than 18 years old.
Methods: This is a retrospective cross sectional study done in Emergency Department of B.P.Koirala Institute of Health Sciences. Patients aged less than 16 years were included with history of Trauma from January 1st 2013 to 31st December 2013.The details of patient were taken from computerized medical records of the hospital. The data Demographic data, Pattern of injury, Mode of injury, Diagnosis and outcomes were tabulated in Microsoft excel.
Results: Total 3958 pediatrics patient were enrolled in this study. Male: Female=3.6:1,Mean age 9.6±3.2 years, fall injury & RTAs common modes and fractures of limbs, soft tissue injuries and cut injuries were common patterns.
Conclusions: Injury is a serious problem for children in Low Income countries like Nepal.
1. Sharma M, Lahoti BK, Khandelwal G, Mathur GK, Sharma SS, and Laddha A. Epidemiological trends of pediatric trauma: A single-center study of 791 patients. J Indian Assoc Pediatr Surg. 2011 Jul-Sep; 16(3): 88–92. doi: 10.4103/0971-9261.83484
2. Nagele P, Hüpfl M, Kroesen G. Epidemiology and outcome of pediatric trauma treated by an emergency-physician-staffed advanced life-support unit. June 2004, Volume 116, Issue 11-12, pp 398-403. DOI: 10.1007/BF03040921
3. Tandon JN, Kalra A, Kalra K, Sahu SC, Nigam CB, Qureshi GU. Profile of accidents in children. Indian Pediatr. 1993; 30:765–9. pmid: 8132256.
4. Bayreuther J1, Wagener S, Woodford M, Edwards A, Lecky F, Bouamra O, Dykes E. Paediatric trauma: injury pattern and mortality in the UK. Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2009 Apr; 94(2):37-41. doi: 10.1136/adc.2007.132787.
5. Loon CP, Bruyne J, Chandran PS. P6: Paediatric Trauma: Patterns of Injury Presenting To A Paediatric Trauma And Emergency Unit In A Tertiary Hospital In Malaysia Malaysian Journal of Pediatrics & Child Health. Vol 16 No: 2, 2010.
6. Buschmann C1, Kühne CA, Lösch C, Nast-Kolb D, Ruchholtz S. Major trauma with multiple injuries in German children: a retrospective review. J Pediatr Orthop. 2008,Jan-Feb;28(1):1-5.PMID:18157037, DOI:10.1097/BPO.0b013e31815b4d90
7. Osifo OD, Iribhogbe PE, Ugiagbe EE. Epidemiology and pattern of paediatric and adolescent trauma deaths in a level 1 trauma centre in Benin city, Nigeria. Injury. 2012 Nov; 43(11):1861-4. doi: 10.1016/j.injury
8. Mazurek AJ. Epidemiology of paediatric injury. Journal of Accident and Emergency Medicine 1994 11, 9-16. PMCID: PMC1342368
9. Zwingmann J, Schmal H, Mehlhorn A, Südkamp NP, Strohm PC Injury patterns in polytraumatized children and consequences for the emergency room management. Acta Chir Orthop Traumatol Cech. 2010 Oct; 77(5):365-70. PMID: 21040647
10. Krauss BS, Harakal T, Fleisher GR. General trauma in a pediatric emergency department: spectrum and consultation patterns. Pediatr Emerg Care. 1993 Jun; 9(3):134-8. PubMed: 8346083
11. Nnadi MON, Bankole OB and Fente BG. Epidemiology and treatment outcome of head injury in children: A prospective study J Pediatr Neurosci. 2014 Sep-Dec; 9(3): 237–241. doi: 10.4103/1817-1745.147577
12. Alexandre Fraga AM, Bustorff-Silva JM, Fernandez TM, Fraga GP, Reis MC, Elias Baracat EC, and Coimbra R . Children and adolescents deaths from trauma-related causes in a Brazilian City. World J Emerg Surg. 2013; 8: 52. doi: 10.1186/1749-7922-8-52
13. Condello AS1, Hancock BJ, Hoppensack M, Tenenbein M, Stewart TC, Kirwin D, Williamson J, Findlay C, Moffatt M, Wiseman N, Postuma R. Pediatric trauma registries: the foundation of quality care. J Pediatr Surg. 2001 May; 36(5):685-9. PMID:11329566, DOI: 10.1053/jpsu.2001.22937
14. Kirsch TD, Beaudreau RW, Holder YA, Smith GS. Pediatric injuries presenting to an emergency department in a developing country. Pediatr Emerg Care. 1996 Dec; 12(6):411-5. PMID: 8989787
15. Chowdhury SM, Rahman A, Mashreky SR, Giashuddin SM, Svanström L, Hörte LG, et al. The Horizon of Unintentional Injuries among Children in Low-Income Setting: An Overview from Bangladesh Health and Injury Survey. Journal of Environmental and Public Health. 2009; 2009:435403. doi:10.1155/2009/435403.
16. Karbakhsh M, Zargar M, Zarei MR, Khaji A. Childhood injuries in Tehran: A review of 1281 cases. Turk J Pediatr. 2008; 50:317–25. PubMed PMID: 19014043.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.