Need of The Ministry of Health in Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal
The constitution of Nepal provides appointing a council of ministers both at federal and provincial levels without defining portfolios. There is a political agreement that MOH will be retained at the federal level. This article draws evidences around the world to meet health needs of Nepalese, the role of provincial ministry of health and coordinating structure at district/local level.
The constitution emphasises on health and pronounced in 46 articles which provides guidance for the creation of federalized governance levels at federal, provincial and local levels. Retaining ministry of health at federal level without creating devolved structure at province and local levels in health sector will create difficulty in translating the spirit of the constitution and may not be effective in addressing health issues nationally and meeting global achievements like SDGs.
It is suggested to establish an elaborate health system accordingly in Nepal to ensure constitutional mandate of health as a basic human right.
Keywords:constitution; federalism; health sector,ministy of health. [PubMed]
2. Declaration of Alma-Ata. International Conference on Primary Health Care, Alma-Ata, USSR, 6-12 September 1978 (Online). [cited 2017 Jun 10]. Available from: http://www.who.int/publications/almaata_declaration_en.pdf?ua=1 [Full Text]
3. Health in All Policies – Framework for Country Action (Online). 2013 May 09 [cited 2017 Jun 10]. Available from: http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/conferences/8gchp/130509_hiap_framework_for_country_action_draft.pdf [Full Text]
4. National Planning Commission, Government of Nepal. Sustainable Development Goals for Nepal (2016-2030) (National Preliminary Report) (Online). [cited 2017 Jun 11]. Available from: http://www.np.undp.org/content/dam/nepal/docs/reports/SDG%20final%20report-nepal.pdf [Full Text]
5. Ministries of health worldwide. Geneva Foundation for Medical Education and Research. [cited 2017 Jun 12]. Available from: http://www.gfmer.ch/Medical_search/Ministry_health.html [Full Text]
6. Sania Nishtar. Health and the 18th amendment: retaining national functions in devolution (Online). [cited 2017 Jun 12]. Available from: http://www.heartfile.org/pdf/HEALTH_18AM_FINAL.pdf [Full Text]
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
JNMA allow to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of its articles and allow readers to use them for any other lawful purpose. The author(s) are allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions. The JNMA work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More about Copyright Policy.